Sorry, this entry is only available in French.
Here is an extremely fast and easy dish to prepare. Bonus, children love it!
Here’s a simple way to make them eat 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.
Recipe for home-made basil pesto:
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves. (Do not press too much basil into the cup)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (grilled)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cups olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Thoroughly clean the basil leaves.
- Lightly grilled the pine nuts.
- In a food processor, begin chopping pine nuts, lemon juice and salt. Gradually stir in the oil. Add the basil leaves, pulsate the mixture gently, add the garlic and add the rest of the oil. Mix all the ingredients until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Add the cheeses. Mix again to create a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- Adjust seasoning of salts and pepper.
The latter can be prepared in advance. It will keep for about 7 to 10 days in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen. I like to divide my pesto into an ice cube mold, so I can freeze separate portion and use them as needed.
Recipe for pesto Zucchini noodles:
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 1/2 Cup of pesto
- 3/4 cup of plain yogourt
- 15-20 tomatoes halves
- 1/4 cup of grilled pine nuts
- 4-5 basil leaves for decoration
- Pinch of ”Fleur de Sel”
I strongly recommend the use of a spiralator, this is such a great tool to have in the kitchen. But if you don’t have one, don’t worry. You can easily cut zucchini strips to make small zucchini spaghetti using a knife.
I make little mushroom with the end of the zucchini and I give them to the kids.
Heat the pesto in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add plain yogurt to obtain a light creamy mixture.
When the sauce is warm (do not boil) add the zucchini pasta. Mix well to coat with pesto. Add halved tomatoes and turn off the heat. You want the dish to be hot, but the zucchini must remain crunchy. Add roasted pine nuts at the end.
Use basil leafs on top for decoration.
Add a pinch of ”fleur de sel”. This dish can be eatten warm or cold.
Isabelle Votre Amie Essentielle
Recipe and preparations
- 3 Cup of Filtered Water
- 2 leafs of organic* Kale (I do not use the stem, I think there are too many fibers in them)
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves
Blend well with a high speed mixer for about 30 seconds. Start from the lowest speed to the highest. This allows to breakdown the leafs and mix them well with the water before adding the other ingredients to obtain, from the start, a more homogeneous preparation.
- Add a piece of ginger, about 1 inch. Remove the skin.
- Zeste an organic lemon* and extract the juice
- Cut an organic beet * of medium size (or 2 small) into pieces. I keep the skin, but I wash it well and I rub it with a veggie brush first.
- A handful of blackberries* (fresh or frozen)
- A handful of blueberries* (fresh or frozen)
- A handful of raw almond. Ideally, it is best to soak the almonds overnight to rehydrate them and to remove the skin before eating, as the latter has no nutritional value and unnecessarily slowed down the digestion.
- Add ice if you want your smoothie to be cold.
Blend for 3-4 minutes to make the smoothie ”smoothe” and pleasant to drink. To avoid overheating the ingredients and losing valuable nutrients, mix as little as possible.
I use the Vitamix. I love it, it’s the best purchase I made in my kitchen. In fact, I offered it to my husband Jay as a birthday gift. lol! It’s an investment, because the Vitamix costs between $ 500 and $ 750.00, but we use it every day, without exception. It allows us to make smoothies, soups, almond milk, extraordinary sorberts, etc … A good blender makes all the difference.
- * – I recommend buying organic when the food you want to use is on the ” Dirty12 ” chart. Especially if you intend to use the skin.
- * -Kale is now listed on the ” Dirty12 Plus ” chart. The leaves of the greeny leaf unfortunately absorb pesticides and herbicides, I recommend buying them organic. Even better, with the coming summer, grown your own in your garden.
- * -When I use the zest of lemon or another citrus, I make sure to have an organic fruit.
- * – Because I use the skin of my beet, I recommend to have organic beetroot, same thing for berries (especially strawberries).
For more information about pesticides and foods that you should consume bio, click on the link below.
What a great way to start our day…Have a great one.
Isabelle Votre Amie Essentielle