Here is an extremely fast and easy dish to prepare. Bonus, children love it!
Here’s a simple way to make them eat 1 or 2 servings of vegetables.
Recipe for home-made basil pesto:
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves. (Do not press too much basil into the cup)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (grilled)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cups olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Thoroughly clean the basil leaves.
- Lightly grilled the pine nuts.
- In a food processor, begin chopping pine nuts, lemon juice and salt. Gradually stir in the oil. Add the basil leaves, pulsate the mixture gently, add the garlic and add the rest of the oil. Mix all the ingredients until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Add the cheeses. Mix again to create a homogeneous and creamy mixture.
- Adjust seasoning of salts and pepper.
The latter can be prepared in advance. It will keep for about 7 to 10 days in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen. I like to divide my pesto into an ice cube mold, so I can freeze separate portion and use them as needed.
Recipe for pesto Zucchini noodles:
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 1/2 Cup of pesto
- 3/4 cup of plain yogourt
- 15-20 tomatoes halves
- 1/4 cup of grilled pine nuts
- 4-5 basil leaves for decoration
- Pinch of ”Fleur de Sel”
I strongly recommend the use of a spiralator, this is such a great tool to have in the kitchen. But if you don’t have one, don’t worry. You can easily cut zucchini strips to make small zucchini spaghetti using a knife.
I make little mushroom with the end of the zucchini and I give them to the kids.
Heat the pesto in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add plain yogurt to obtain a light creamy mixture.
When the sauce is warm (do not boil) add the zucchini pasta. Mix well to coat with pesto. Add halved tomatoes and turn off the heat. You want the dish to be hot, but the zucchini must remain crunchy. Add roasted pine nuts at the end.
Use basil leafs on top for decoration.
Add a pinch of ”fleur de sel”. This dish can be eatten warm or cold.