Recipe and preparations
- 3 Cup of Filtered Water
- 2 leafs of organic* Kale (I do not use the stem, I think there are too many fibers in them)
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves
Blend well with a high speed mixer for about 30 seconds. Start from the lowest speed to the highest. This allows to breakdown the leafs and mix them well with the water before adding the other ingredients to obtain, from the start, a more homogeneous preparation.
- Add a piece of ginger, about 1 inch. Remove the skin.
- Zeste an organic lemon* and extract the juice
- Cut an organic beet * of medium size (or 2 small) into pieces. I keep the skin, but I wash it well and I rub it with a veggie brush first.
- A handful of blackberries* (fresh or frozen)
- A handful of blueberries* (fresh or frozen)
- A handful of raw almond. Ideally, it is best to soak the almonds overnight to rehydrate them and to remove the skin before eating, as the latter has no nutritional value and unnecessarily slowed down the digestion.
- Add ice if you want your smoothie to be cold.
Blend for 3-4 minutes to make the smoothie ”smoothe” and pleasant to drink. To avoid overheating the ingredients and losing valuable nutrients, mix as little as possible.
I use the Vitamix. I love it, it’s the best purchase I made in my kitchen. In fact, I offered it to my husband Jay as a birthday gift. lol! It’s an investment, because the Vitamix costs between $ 500 and $ 750.00, but we use it every day, without exception. It allows us to make smoothies, soups, almond milk, extraordinary sorberts, etc … A good blender makes all the difference.
- * – I recommend buying organic when the food you want to use is on the ” Dirty12 ” chart. Especially if you intend to use the skin.
- * -Kale is now listed on the ” Dirty12 Plus ” chart. The leaves of the greeny leaf unfortunately absorb pesticides and herbicides, I recommend buying them organic. Even better, with the coming summer, grown your own in your garden.
- * -When I use the zest of lemon or another citrus, I make sure to have an organic fruit.
- * – Because I use the skin of my beet, I recommend to have organic beetroot, same thing for berries (especially strawberries).
For more information about pesticides and foods that you should consume bio, click on the link below.
What a great way to start our day…Have a great one.
Isabelle Votre Amie Essentielle